Questions about sitecake

Hello! I have a couple of questions about sitecake.

Should I be worried about having too many posts or pages that will slow down the site? (I plan on making a personal blog that I update frequently)

And secondly, what license does sitecake use? I understand that you cant distribute it (even if you modify the code) but are you allowed to modify the source code for personal use?

Hello,

If your pages are simple HTML with text and few images Sitecake can handle hundreds of them. Sitecake is used only for page editing, so only you are using it. Your visitors are getting pages rendered by the webserver and that is pretty fast. This is the whole point of having a static CMS, to skip invoking WordPress or similar CMS for each visitor page view.

Sitecake is a closed source. You can buy a regular license and use it on one domain, or a white label license and use it on any number of domains. Code modifications are not allowed.

If you want to modify the code, you need SaaS license. This is something we do with SaaS web apps that use Sitecake as an editor for their website builders, profile page editors, …

oh ok, i noticed that on this post: I want to remove this button. that you go into the files to add code to make small changes, is this allowed by the license?

You can remove page manager button in the configuration. That is not a problem for any license.

ok, thanks for the info!

Hi everybody! I’m new here. I also have some questions about Sitecake. One of them is: how to add/edit the Open Graph tags in the head of a webpage? As far I know, there is no possibility to do that. Maybe there is another way …?

You are right. No way to edit Open Graph tags through Sitecake. A designer has to do it in HTML.

Thank you for the answer! Is any possibility that Sitecake Team will consider to implement generating those tags by the software in the future? As far I know they are mostly the same as the Page Details. Ok, there are a few others but they are not necessary or may be hardcoded for instance … :wink: What do you think?

Thanks for the feedback. I think it would be the easiest to add alt tag through the toolbar’s web link/email link field. I will add it to the backlog.

ALT tag? What do you mean? I don’t understand.
My thought was about automatic generating the Open Graph meta tags, eg:

<meta property="og:title" content="Title of a webpage">
<meta property="og:description" content="Description of a web page">
<meta property="og:site_name" content="Name of the website">
<meta property="og:locale" content="en_EN(and so on)">
<meta property="og:url" content="http(s)://website-address/name-of-the-file.html(php)">
<meta property="og:type" content="website">

There is also more Open Graph tags, but they above would be enough for the Facebook or Twitter. Images will be choosed automatically by the Facebook or Twitter crawler while publishing a link to a webpage on social media.

What do you think? As I can see, every necessary information needed to generate those tags are filled in the Sitecake - Page Details dialogue window. Only the Website Name (og:site_name) is missing.

All of that is only my question/suggestion about improving the Sitecake capabilities … :wink:

I am sorry about alt tags, it’s my mistake. I’ve mixed the post with another one.

You are right, most of the information needed can be filled in page manager. It’s not a big deal to add site_name too.

Thanks for the suggestion. It makes sense. I will create a backlog task.

2 Likes