Possible depth of navigation?

hi there.

i know this has been addressed several time before. but as i am not a native speaker i might be confused with the term ‘multi-level’. :wink:

so just to get this clear:

1. SC can be used to edit a SINGLE level navigation by clicking on the link and typing changes (e.g. renaming navigation menue item ‘home’ to ‘start’)? just like i edit any headline or text?

2. SC will AUTOMATICALLY create that SINGLE level navigation upon saving the pagemanager after adding a new page?

3. otherwise: how can i add another navigation item (via pagemanager)?

4. i understand that SC can NOT be used to edit SEVERAL nested navigation submenu levels like ‘about us > company > team > member’!

5. but can SC be used to edit just ONE (first) sublevel menu item like ‘about us > company’? would i be able to edit/rename/pagemanager-generate the sublevel ‘company’?

if this sounds to complicated please let me know. i´ll try to explain more understandably then. :grin:

thanks for your answers!

Hi,

Sitecake know how to handle only ONE level navigation at the moment. You need to mark your menu container with sc-nav class and it will be automatically saved on Pagemanager Publish. There are plans to support MORE THAN ONE level of navigation in the future. You can control how menu item should look like through menus.item_template config var and also class of active menu item through menus.active_class config var.

ok, thanks.

so basically “navigation level” means nothing more than a ‘textblock with links’. ;-(

i do understand that you gotta earn money earlier or later. i mysef paid 150 USD for your whitelabel version back in the days. you guys should rather focus on providing a product that just works and is ‘close to reality’, though! instead of pushing folks to act as affliates! ;-(

for all other readers: i am going to answer my initial questions here then:

SC can be used to edit a SINGLE level navigation by clicking on the link and typing changes (e.g. renaming navigation menue item ‘home’ to ‘start’)?

• YES, via pagemanager if class=“sc-nav” is added to menu container

just like i edit any headline or text?

• NO

SC will AUTOMATICALLY create that SINGLE level navigation upon saving the pagemanager after adding a new page?

• NO new pages are added to navigation after creating and publishing a new page

otherwise: how can i add another navigation item (via pagemanager)?

• NOT POSSIBLE with SC - only manually in source code

can SC be used to edit just ONE (first) sublevel menu item like ‘about us > company’?

• NO

would i be able to edit/rename/pagemanager-generate the sublevel ‘company’?

• NO

thanks

Let me clear things a bit more:

Once a designer creates a static website and wants to allow clients to add more pages, designer needs to define where these new pages will be linked. It can be in the main navigation, it can be in side column, it can be in the footer… Sitecake can not decide about the location on it’s own so a designer have to put sc-nav class manually in the desired list of links and create navigation. Like this:

<ul class="sc-nav">
<li><a href="#" title="Home">Home</a></li>
<li><a href="#" title="About">About</a></li>
<li><a href="#" title="Contact">Contact</a></li>
</ul>

In case a designer does not want navigation in a ul list he can define different HTML snippet for the navigation. This can be done in the sitecake/config.php

/** The main navigation item template */
$config['menus.item_template'] = '<li><a class="${active}" href="${url}" title="${titleText}">${title}</a></li>';

/** An alternative nav configuration example, without using <ul> tag as the container and <li> tags for menu 
items  */
//$config['menus.item_template'] = '<li><a accesskey="${order}" href="${url}">${title}</a> <em>(${order}) 
</em></li>';

/** CSS class to be used for active menu link. If set to false, no class will be used In a dynamic site where menu is defined in include file this will probably not be applicable */
$config['menus.active_class'] = 'active';

return $config;

So, Sitecake can not automatically create a navigation but can edit an existing list of links, or just links, provided that designer assigned sc-nav class to a wrapper of these links.

Once a client (person, website editor) creates new page through duplication in page manager this page can be added to the navigation (by dragging it in the navigation pane) or just linked as a regular link in any page (open Details dialogue, copy page url and paste assign it to any link on the page).

Same navigation can be put twice on the page, in the header and footer for example and styled differently but that is cloned navigation and both are updated at once from page manager.

At the moment Sitecake page manager can manage only one level of navigation. It can be used as a main nav of a simple website or a list of blog posts in the side column. But it is as it is for now.

hi nik.

sure, but that wasnt the questions i had (as i didnt ask for how to add class=“sc-nav” to my navigation).

so i am right that:

• i can NOT edit the navigation like any headline or text
  • SC WONT automatically create (not even a SINGLE level) navigation upon saving the pagemanager after adding a new page
  • NO new pages are added to navigation after creating and publishing a new page
  • SC can NOT be used to edit just ANY sublevel menu item
  • i can NOT edit/rename/pagemanager-generate ANY sublevel menu items

and i am NOT even talking about difficulties of having a multilanguage site or more than one editor working on the site (rights management!)…

get that stuff implemented (and SC branding fully removed from whitelabel version) and SC will sell itself like warm brezels!
i guess A LOT of your customers will recommend SC to their clients/other designers/agencies then and try to earn some affiliate money (i definitely would - if i fully stood behind the product)…

EDIT: just saw that you edited your post. so there might be some sort of duplication here…

Martin we really appreciate your feedback!

Though you must understand that these feature requests are your personal needs. We must hear this same requests from many other users in order to implement them. Every new feature makes the user experience more complex and alienate users that need the editor for a three page website.

There is a plenty of CMS that manage complex websites, but they fail at managing simple websites. We are targeting single page and up to ten pages websites. That’s it.

thanks nik!

i agree with you as far as user-rights for different editors (in charge of managing different parts of the website) are concerned. this is just a problem i currently gotta solve for an upcoming project - asking myself if i should use SC for it or not. it´d be still nice to have that feature anyways (and it definitely would draw more attention to SC)!

believe me: all i want is to help improve SC, so i can profit from my paid whitelabel-version. i am tired of looking elswhere for another CMS that might better fit the everyday needs of my clients. i´d really LOVE to stick with SC!
that´s why i am so commited and energetic. :wink:

that beeing said:

• no one buys a whitelabel version for ‘three page websites’.
  • even a ‘three page website’ needs an image gallery (c’mon, this is more than a basic -and absolutely “everday”- feature). even the smallest bakery/shoemaker/whateversmallbusiness wants a gallery.
  • sublevel menu is crucial - maybe not for a ‘three’ but for a ‘eight page website’.
  • fully removal of SC branding is something that should´ve been implemented BEFORE the very first whitelabel-version was available to buy. and it still isnt.

the point is: that´s not me asking for never-been-there-top-notch-features no one else wants! i myself am just telling you what MY CUSTOMERS are asking for!
as long as you do not implement the features “our” CLIENTS need, no agency/freelancer/designer will be convinced to wholeheartedly buy/recommend SC.

those roadmap-items (proposed by YOU):

• snippets (create custom HTML snippets and add them as drag and drop content items on toolbar)
  • Layout Manager (drag and drop page builder form pre-designed modules)

would also be VERY NICE to have. imho they are not ESSENTIAL to have them immediately, though…

well, deal with it - in either way. :sunglasses:

cheers, martin