Looking to potentially use Sitecake and have questions

Hi All,

So we build websites in a small web design agency in html5/css3 on bootstrap and am looking at ways to offer some CMS functionally to our clients, we have no desire to offer Wordpress/Webflow etc as we are happy designing as we do, but the idea of allowing our clients the option of editing copy and images could be very useful, but I have questions and wonder if anyone can answer these for us or point us in the right direction to get the answers?

1/ Can we use this on multiple sites if we purchase the White Label package

2/ Can we give different clients in different companies access so they can edit there sites once we have completed the build

3/ Being White Label can we add our own branding

4/ Is the $199 a one off payment forever

5/ Is the software stand alone, i.e if Sitecake was no longer trading would that affect sites that are using it?

6/ is this software applied after the build / before / during

Do any other agencies on here use this solution and does it work for you clients?

Many thanks everyone

Brian

Hi Brian,

let me answer your questions:

1/ Can we use this on multiple sites if we purchase the White Label package
Yes. This package is made exactly for agencies like yours.

2/ Can we give different clients in different companies access so they can edit there sites once we have completed the build
Yes.

3/ Being White Label can we add our own branding
Yes.

4/ Is the $199 a one off payment forever
Yes.

5/ Is the software stand alone, i.e if Sitecake was no longer trading would that affect sites that are using it?
Yes. Sitecake is just an editor, it edits HTML, CSS and JS. You can do this manually but it’s easier with Sitecake. If you delete Sitecake from the server, your website will still be intact and operational.

6/ is this software applied after the build / before / during
It would be nice that you inform yourself what kind of HTML structure Sitecake requires and build a website HTML accordingly. But, you can add Sitecake on the prebuilt bootstrap website at any time to edit some texts or some images. This will use Sitecake just partially but it will work.

What is important to know about Sitecake:

1. If you use proper HTML for main nav you can use Sitecake for adding new pages in the nav and deleting existing.
  2. Sitecake can be partially applied just for a paragraph of text, or just one page (daily menu on restaurant website), or the whole website
  3. Sitecake has support for repeating segments of HTML on multiple pages. For example website footer, or a sidebar. If you assign a segment as a repeater, it’s enough to edit it on one page and Sitecake will propagate the change on all other pages.
  4. Complicated JS intensive “flying” pages with a lot of accordions, hidden segments and so on can be paired with hidden plain HTML pages with the same content. User can edit the plain version and content will be propagated to interactive page.
  5. If you have a multilanguage website with subfolder for each language you can copy Sitecake installation in each subfolder and create separate login for editing each language.

I hope this helps.

Hiya,

Thanks for the answers, couple of other questions

1/ We have multiple client sites on two different servers, we have Apache so that should be ok, but can i confirm we just upload a copy of sitecake with each site upload ? so if i have 10 websites i would then upload 10 copies of sitecake ? i.e one copy per client site ?

2/ Can you confirm the refund policy if we buy and it does not function as we want it to ?

3/ Do we setup client access within the software after upload?

Thanks
Brian

1/ We have multiple client sites on two different servers, we have Apache so that should be ok, but can i confirm we just upload a copy of sitecake with each site upload ? so if i have 10 websites i would then upload 10 copies of sitecake ? i.e one copy per client site ?

Yes, one Sitecake copy for each website.

2/ Can you confirm the refund policy if we buy and it does not function as we want it to ?

Sure. 30 days refund policy.

3/ Do we setup client access within the software after upload?

Yes. Rename admin.php to youragency.php and set a password for the client.

Ok thank you, ill go ahead an purchase the whitelable version and we will give it a go…

thank you

1 Like

Hi @Nik, we purchased white label for evaluation purposes and I’m currently trying to figure out how to deal with some “flying” pages (mentioned in 4. in your above answer). Could you please elaborate on that topic or point me to a more detailed resource? How would I “pair” the hidden plain HTML page with the original content?
More specifically I noticed, that Sitecake seems to have issues with dealing with hidden images (using CSS display: none;).

Here is the recipe:

• Make two HTML pages. The first one plane, no CSS, no javascript. The other one fancy, javascript heavy.
  • Create named Sitecake container on both of them (eg. sc-content-yourname)
  • Edit the first one with Sitecake and content in the other one will also change

This trick with named containers can be done on another level, so that you have one plane HTML page with copies od all named containers from all pages of your website. And you edit all content on that one page. But it defies the purpose of Sitecake as a WYSIWYG editor.

In case you need an example I can make it for you.

Thanks!
I guess I’m good right now. I might get back to you at a later time, though.