How to save to DB not Server/File?

Hi Team,
I just installed sitecake, and I already need to make drastic changes. I want to save images on my cdn, which function/files do I have to edit?

Same question goes for Backup of the site, how do I save it to a db not on the site?

In fact, I would like to not save a backup as I am on Amazon and already auto backup my files.

How can I find the files associated with functions that save to disk so I can point them to my DB etc…?

To be honest I don’t think you’ll be able to save to a database without drastically reworking the code. Sitecake was designed as a “flat file” cms, specifically to avoid the use of a database.

Can’t help you with the question on images on cdn though. Perhaps someone else can answer this?

Hi, it sure is a drastic change :slight_smile: .

All the services (image and file upload, content saving, …) are in sitecake//src/Sitecake/Services dir. You can start tracing method calls from there.

As for backups, there is ‘site.number_of_backups’ config var that can be set to 0 if you don’t want to create backups. You can change it in sitecake//config/config.php file (around #130 line), although I wouldn’t recommend removing backup functionality. Sitecake is managing live files after publishing so backups are good way to reverse unwanted changes.

Hi Guys,
Thank you for the prompt reply.

predragleka, I don’t mind having a backup but it seems to be making multiple backup and not even compressing them, would you suggest I write a script compress, or even just limit the total number of backups to 1?
I ask because you seem far more familiar with the framework.

I love the feel of this CMS but it seems to be creating a lot of bloat, and very limiting to the end user, I really hope to work around this. I look froward to your reply.

Hi, like I wrote earlier, you can totally remove backup functionality by setting that config var to zero, but maybe better to keep it at 1 :slight_smile: .

Sitecake is originally designed for small static websites, and by it’s usability it’s made to be easily used by everyone (even non-IT people that are not so familiar with concept of content editing and CMS). As I can figure, you are developer, and I’m sure that you experienced lots of times that your client manage to screw things up somehow. Well, this is why this backup comes in hand :slight_smile: .

Around 2 months ago we started to work on Sitecake v3 and it’s coming with plugin API, so everyone will be able to create new functionality. If you stick around with sitecake there’s a good chance you will be able to easily write your own backup plugin :wink: .

Cheers