If I login, can I move between pages and still edit?

Hi there, I bought Sitecake before and it didn’t work for me, but I have another possible use now and I’d love for it to be able to give this additional functionality for my colleagues. Before buying though, I need to know that I will either be able to login and edit pages other than the home page (so I don’t always get redirected back), or be able to login to the homepage and move freely between pages whilst editing?

Cheers! :slight_smile:

Hi @Peacock99,

i’m not sure what exactly you mean by other pages than home page, this depend your file structure I guess.
If you are using simple html static concept, you will be absolutely able to edit every sc-content element.
If you need more structured architecture, with server side scripts etc, check this topic where were recently discussed with @predragleka possibilities of accessibility cs-content elements through more complex, server side routed folder layout.

Does this help?
Desh.

Sorry, I don’t think you’re understanding me…

It’s not about editing elements, I can edit all the elements on the page that I want. I want to be able to edit different pages, but I can’t seem to be able to get past the home page when I go into editing mode… or if I tryu to login to edit on another page it takes me back to the home page…

Ok, I’ll try once more :).

Once you go to yourdomain.xyz/sitecake.php (or admin.php or whatever), server sessions is created, and you are starting at same point as yourdomain.xyz would be - usually homepage. That’s how it works, you could change this behavior by adding parameter ?cspage=yourpage to the end of url, which will forward your startpoint to that page.

In your case, when you log in and go to another page, admin session is lost? Could you try it manually with this parameter - for example yourdomain.xyz/sitecake.php?scpage=contact.html ? Are you using some .htaccess rewriting or some PHP routing affecting url parameters (GET fields)?
And btw you mentioned you bought SC before, with which version you are trying this?

Desh.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the admin session is lost if I move to another page.

OK, so I am always going to be re-directed to the homepage when I start editing, unless I change the parameter?

I’m not using any .htaccess rewriting.

I’ll try that to see if it works, but even if it does, I’m using a template, so it won’t be feasable to have unique links on every page…

I’m using a version of SiteCake that is a few months old, from June or July I think…

@Peacock99,

maybe just for sure check if you are using the latest - 2.4.5 released 6/15/2017.

I could recommend to not to think about this as a redirection but more like entrance portal. Actually with yourdomain.xyz/sitecake.php (no parameter) url you are telling to SC you want to edit file presented at yourdomain.xyz (no file - home page). Examples:

Is this template html or php? When you are logged in (so you see home page and SC tool bar) and you click on different page, how does the end part of url looks (after .com/ or whatever you have)? The /sitacake.php?scpage= part is probably missing at all, and that’s why are you not editing anymore.

Did you faced same behavior on different installations (for instance before you decide to stop using SC)?
If not did you try to reinstall SC?
Is this happening both on local and remote environment?

Just to clarify. Sitecake should convert all links that are NOT inside sc-content container to ‘edit’ links (yourdomain.xyc/sitecake.php?scpage=yourpage.ext) automatically. There is small bug with automatic link conversion in current version, but is only happening in some special cases. That’s fixed and will be out with next release. So @Peacock99 if links are not automatically converted, please post a ticket with example so we can check it out and if needed include fix in next release.

haha, i didn’t noticed this auto conversions, I somehow guessed this is determined by existing session and inner routing. Then sorry for imprecise questions, @Peacock99.
Smarter every day…

If you are talking about going from one html page to another use Page Manager where you just double click on the page you want to edit then go back to page manager and repeat with another page.